Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Orchid

Have you ever had a responsibility that you took so seriously and made sure that what ever it was that you needed to do, was done as perfectly as possible? I have. Many times.





This is where my saga begins. There are many plants in my office. Many different kinds of plants, inside and outside, decorating the walkways and the offices. They are quite beautiful and really make any office more enjoyable. They, of course, need to be taken care of weekly, if not daily some of them. They are taken care of meticulously by my boss mostly, he loves the plants. And when I say love, I mean he would die if anyone hurt one of his precious plants.





The boss's go away occasionally and they will leave the care of the office and all of those precious plants to me. No problem, I love plants too. Not as much as the boss though. Anyway, off they went and I'm looking after the place. Did I forget to mention there was a brand new addition to the inside office? No? Well, an Orchid. A big beautiful purple orchid, in a pretty vase that was peacefully sitting on the end of a very old side table. That long table was beautiful too, made of solid mahogany, painted black and so shiny. It reminded me of a black baby grand piano.





Well, on about the 5th or 6th day of taking care of things, I noticed that the orchids flower was falling off and the leaves didn't look very good. I decided it needed some water. I forgot to water it that day so the next day I made sure that I remembered to water it. I know nothing about orchids. I gave it about a cup of water that I drizzled into the vase. All I know about orchids is they grow in moss, not dirt. So I did my good deed for the day, or so I thought. I went home, it was a Friday, for the weekend. The boss's would be back on Saturday and the first place they go is the office.





I'm driving home from the grocery store on Saturday evening and my cell phone rings. It's my boss. "hey, you back yet?'' I ask. All he says is, " did you water my orchid?" I say "yes" thinking I had done a good thing. He says to me " you killed my orchid and ruined our beautiful old shiny long table" Gulp..what? How? When? OMG! "I am so sorry" doesn't even begin to cover it. What could I say? He was very upset, but he didn't fire me. yay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was the orchid replaced?..I know how you feel, our office is full of beautful plants and it does make working better..I feel for you, keep us posted..